Home Maintenance Tips for Fall and Winter
The cold season has already arrived in many parts of the country. Here on the Central Coast, we’re lucky and have a mild winter.
No matter where you live, it’s important to prepare your home for the colder weather coming. Taking a little bit of time to winterize your home can save you a lot of time, and money, later on. Check out these tips for preparing your home for the fall and winter.
If you are in an area that gets snow, add the last few items on the list, and edit the remainder as you see fit. If you are in an area that is very hot and humid in the summer, the cooler fall and winter months are a good time to have your house painted (lower humidity) or have roof or screen enclosure repairs done (services aren’t as busy as spring and summer.)
1. Check window and door weather stripping for damage.
2. Clean your gutters.
3. Check your roof for damage or leaks.
4. Fill cracks in your driveway and foundation.
5. Check attic insulation for pest damage.
6. Have your furnace serviced.
7. Check your chimney for obstructions and make sure your damper is working.
8. Aerate and fertilize your lawn.
9. Change the air filters in your HVAC system.
10. Change smoke detector batteries.
11. Have landscaping pruned and put fresh mulch down.
12. Bring potted plants inside.
13. Change your ceiling fan direction.
14. Clean humidifiers before using.
15. Check the condition of your pool cover.
*16. Clean and store outdoor furniture.
*17. Clean and store your lawnmower.
*18. Disconnect water hoses and turn off outdoor water supply lines and irrigation system.
*19. Wrap exterior water pipes or hose bibs with heating tape.
*20. Make sure snow equipment is working.